Athmar Park Active Living Coalition Community Connector
The Active Living Coalition is part of the Athmar Park Neighborhood Association and is a group of community members and partners committed to improving public health by promoting and improving the conditions for walking, biking and wheelchair-rolling.
What are the goals of the Athmar Park Active Living Coalition?
- Increase access to safe and accessible routes to the places we work, play, gather, and shop
- Encourage community members to walk, bike, and wheelchair roll for transportation
- Raise awareness of the connection between the neighborhood’s physical design,
- infrastructure, and the health of community members
- Promote physical activity and increase healthy choices among community members
The Athmar Park Neighborhood Association is seeking a skilled professional to serve as a Community Connector. We are looking for qualified individuals with proven experience in community building and community organizing. This position will require some non-traditional hours and the ability to talk with anyone about their community, about their aspirations and about opportunities to build a more walkable, bikeable and livable community. Athmar Park is seeking someone with an interest in neighborhood conditions; passion for community and the capacity to interact with community members of all backgrounds, specifically the Hispanic and Latino community.
This is a Part-Time position, 20 hours per week, working some weekends and evenings.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Engage, recruit, and retain community members to participate in the Active Living Coaliton through door-to-door canvassing in the Athmar Park neighborhood and attending community events.
- Thoroughly and consistently document each interaction with community members.
- Work with the Program Manager to schedule, facilitate and document meetings and events.
- Represent the Athmar Park Active Living Coalition at community events, conferences, tabling sessions, and more, sharing Active Living Coalition events, programs, and service information with the community.
- Translate outreach materials into Spanish and interpret Spanish at meetings and events.
- Assist in data collection and project evaluation.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this position. Incumbent may be to perform other job-related tasks not specifically presented in this job description.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To be successful the incumbent should, at a minimum, possess skills, knowledge or abilities in the following:
- Experience with recruitment and community outreach
- Experience in relationship-building with community members, organizations, and volunteers
- Strong communication, both in person and online (social media), writing, organizational, and record-keeping skills
- Passionate about public health and community organizing
- Able to handle multiple tasks and to be a team player
- Must be highly motivated, goal oriented and must possess a valid driver’s license and willing to use own automobile for travel
- Experience working with diverse and/or bilingual populations
- Fluency in English and Spanish and strong Spanish translation skills
- Familiarity with the Athmar Park neighborhood
– Education: B.A. or an Associate’s Degree preferred, or experience in community organizing/community building.
Qualified persons may apply by sending a cover letter and résumé to Kacie Warner, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Invitations for interviews will be extended upon review of qualified candidates until the position is filled.
Athmar Park Neighborhood Association is an Equal Opportunity Organization
APNA is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy. APNA is an equal opportunity agency fully committed to diversity and inclusion and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action.