Athmar Park Active Living Coalition Community Connector
The Active Living Coalition is part of the Athmar Park Neighborhood Association and is a group of community members and partners committed to improving public health by promoting and improving the conditions for walking, biking and wheelchair-rolling.
What are the goals of the Athmar Park Active Living Coalition?
- Increase access to safe and accessible routes to the places we work, play, gather, and shop
- Encourage community members to walk, bike, and wheelchair roll for transportation
- Raise awareness of the connection between the neighborhood’s physical design,
infrastructure, and the health of community members
- Promote physical activity and increase healthy choices among community members
The Athmar Park Neighborhood Association is seeking a bilingual Community Connector with an interest in community organizing and advocacy, and who has the ability to communicate with community members of all backgrounds. This position will require some non-traditional hours and the ability to talk with anyone about their community and about their aspirations and about opportunities to build a more walkable, bikeable and livable community.
This is a flexible, part-time position, 15- 20 hours per week, working some weekends and evenings.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Engage, recruit, and retain community members to participate in the Active Living Coalition through door-to-door canvassing in the Athmar Park neighborhood and by tabling and handing out flyers at public places, like parks, and by attending community events.
- Thoroughly and consistently document each interaction with community members and write a weekly report of activities.
- Collect community feedback through surveys and other activities and report on data required for grants and other funding sources.
- Translate outreach materials into Spanish and interpret in Spanish at meetings and events.
- Work with the Program Manager to schedule, facilitate and document meetings and events.
- Represent the Athmar Park Active Living Coalition at community events, conferences, tabling sessions, and more.
- Educate community members about urban planning and public health.
- Attend ongoing trainings, conferences and seminars as deemed necessary by supervisor.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this position. Incumbent may be to perform other job-related tasks not specifically presented in this job description. This position will report to the Program Manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To be successful the incumbent should, at a minimum, possess skills, knowledge or abilities in the following:
- Exhibit the core competencies, habits, critical thinking, attitudes, behavior, and drive to help the Active Living Coalition reach its goals.
- Strong communication, both in person and online (social media), writing, organizational, and record-keeping skills.
- Interest in public health, active living, urban planning and/or community organizing, willingness to participate in ongoing education through the Program Manager, conferences and events, and educate the community on these topics.
- Able to handle multiple tasks and to be a team player.
- Must be highly motivated, goal oriented.
- Must have a reliable vehicle and be willing to help transport materials for meetings, must possess a valid driver’s license and willing to use own automobile for travel.
- Experience working with diverse and/or bilingual populations.
- Fluency in English and Spanish and strong Spanish translation skills.
- Must have computer and printer and be willing to use for work.
- Familiarity with the Athmar Park neighborhood
Please submit resume and cover letter to APActiveLivingCoalition@gmail.com.
Position open until filled.